Please see the job posting on Careerlink as well as details below.
D2 Center Youth Academic Navigator/Reengagement Specialist
The D2 Center|Directions Diploma (D2 Center), a local non-profit organization serving the Omaha area, seeks an experienced professional to join its team as a full-time Youth Academic Navigator (YAN). The individual selected will be responsible for working with high-risk, high school-age youth (15-21) as well as professionals in school districts and community-based organizations in Douglas and Sarpy County. The person will join the D2 Center team to engage disconnected youth and keep them on a pathway toward a high school diploma.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required and experience working with high-risk youth preferred. Candidate must have excellent communication skills, knowledge of available community and school district resources to assist youth, and possess the ability to work collaboratively and independently to achieve goals.
Availability: Position start date February, 2018. Full time, 40 hours per week required. Minimum salary ($37,000) commensurate with qualifications. Excellent benefit package includes: full medical with HSA, life, short-term disability, long-term disability, dental, vision, simple IRA contribution, and paid vacations/holidays.
Please fax (402-502-8537) or email resume and contact information for three references to Carolyn Miller at c.miller @ d2center.org.
D2 Center YAN– Job Description
The D2 Center YAN builds a positive and supportive relationship with assigned youth, contacts youth regularly to determine levels of engagement in school and non-academic services, motivates the youth to remain engaged and advance toward a high school diploma, intervenes and assists if the youth is in crisis, and directs youth to available resources in the community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete all phases of the D2 Center intake process
- Contact youth at least weekly (phone, text, social media, email, in person) as well as other adults supporting the youth and update these contacts in an online case management system
- Keep informed about school placement, attendance and achievement
- Follow professional protocol for student confidentiality, family privacy, child abuse reporting, and statements about harm or self harm
- Visit youth at school, attend important meetings involving the student, go to court, visit youth in jail, and maintain contact with other adults, including parents, who are supporting the student
- Assess youth problems and diagnose barriers to success on an ongoing basis; assist with identifying and connecting youth directly with community resources to help overcome social, emotional, and economic needs in order to keep the youth on track for graduation
- Work with the D2 Center team (directors, other YANs, career navigator, teachers) to maximize youth engagement and progress
- Outreach to students who have withdrawn from school but are eligible to enroll
- Be positive, hopeful, and motivational and focus on youth strengths and their future
- Participate in community outreach and increase awareness of the mission of the D2 Center and the YAN role
- BA/BS degree required
- Demonstrated commitment, passion, and experience working with at-risk youth preferred
- Knowledge of and experience working with school and community resources to assist at-risk youth preferred
- Knowledge of and experience working with special needs populations and services including special education, English as a Second Language, juvenile justice system, social services, and behavioral health preferred
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication, multi-tasking, and organizational skills
- Sensitive to and respectful of race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship status, and economic status
- Proficient use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- All applicants must pass a background check and drug test, have a valid driver’s license and vehicle, and be able to work with high school age youth and young adults
Posted in: General