This summer we’re offering four opportunities to earn elective credits at the D2 Center. If you’re in need of electives, this is a great way to get caught up! Class sizes are small and students get one-on-one attention from our amazing staff of caring, Nebraska-certified teachers. *Please call 402-502-8534 to enroll.*
Careers and Community Engagement
1. Class orientation on Wednesday, May 27 and Thursday, May 28 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
2. Remaining class sessions will be planned to accommodate morning and afternoon schedules.
3. Class sessions, field trips, and other career experiences will be offered throughout the summer.
- What does it take to get and keep a job? Learn job and career skills.
- Explore and select career options, identify educational and training pathways, create a resume, and develop soft skills needed to be successful in a career.
- Participate in field trips and career experiences in the community.
Math Elective Credit: Math Lab open in June every Monday and Wednesday 1 – 5 p.m.
- Master the fundamentals of mathematics and beyond by using Khan Academy (online) in a math computer lab setting; a diagnostic test at the beginning of the class allows teachers to differentiate instruction, build on individual math skills, and provide 1:1 assistance.
- Depending on demand, math lab hours may be extended Monday and Wednesday afternoons into July.
- Students who attend regularly and are approved by the teacher may complete up to a third of the hours online outside the classroom.
Better Family Health: Monday, June 29 – Friday, July 17 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m. weekdays; no class Friday, July 3 or Monday, July 6)
- Study and actively participate in the seven pillars of health: water and hydration, sleep and rest, nutrition, exercise, coping with stress, life-long learning, and genetics.
- Research and discuss the eight dimensions of wellness and turn in a project on heart health, lung health, diabetes, cancer, obesity, allergies, or asthma.
Literacy and Life Skills: Tuesday, July 21 – Thursday, August 6 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m. weekdays)
- Self-select and read a variety of articles, books, short stories, plays, and poetry while completing extensive journaling.
- Learn how to outline, develop and write essays and an autobiographical essay.
- Learn, explain, and participate in the Sixteen Habits of the Mind.
*Classes are for D2 Center students only. A D2 Center application must be completed before a student can be enrolled. All classes are for elective credit and a minimum of 45 hours of class time and the successful completion of all assignments and tests is required. Classes are graded pass/fail.